Thursday, April 1, 2010

Keep a Quiet Heart

I was reading from my daily devotional and these two things really stood out to me today. Such great reminders even for the day to day trials or difficulties we face.
Both excerpts are from Elisabeth Elliot from "Keep a Quiet Heart":

"Heaven is not here, it's There. If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next. God is forever luring us up and away from this one, wooing us to Himself and His still invisible Kingdom, where we will certainly find what we so keenly long for.
'Running aground,' then, is not the end of the world. But it helps to make the world a bit less appealing. It may even be God's answer to 'Lead us not into temptation' - the temptation complacently to settle for visible things."

"Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup. My portion. My cup. My lot is secure. My heart can be at peace. My Father is in charge."

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Exactly & beautifully stated.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Rhonda. What a good and convicting reminder not to build my treasures here. Praise God for the hope and promise we have in Him of something much greater!