Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dr. Appointments, Ultrasounds, Hospital Visits, and...Bed Rest

Since week 20, I have been checked every two weeks (I am now 27 weeks) to determine the length of my cervix since it measured thin at my 20 week ultrasound. So far everything had stayed nice and steady at 2.4 cm. Yesterday was my fourth checkup and unfortunately we didn't get the same good news. My cervix has thinned and is now measuring 1.87 cm. This puts me at an increased risk for premature labor. So...yesterday Jared and I got to spend the afternoon at the hospital hooked up to a machine that would monitor whether or not I was having contractions.

The machine picked up on slight contractions, so the nurse gave me a shot that is a smooth muscle relaxant to stop the contractions. I am now on a blood pressure medication that ultimately has the same effect. Initially the doctor said that I would have to take it easy and only be up for about 5-6 hours a day. After results from the hospital she put me on full bed rest, meaning I get to take a 5 minute shower everyday and use the bathroom but otherwise I am on the couch or in bed.

Jared and I went back today so that I could get monitored again for contractions and have a fetal fibronectin test to determine if I was at risk to go into labor in the next 2 weeks. Thankfully the test came back negative and there was no signs of contractions today. We got to go home and I am on bed rest until Tuesday when I have another Dr. appointment to check my cervical length and determine a plan of action. The Dr. said with almost 100% certainty that I would have to cut my hours back at work and there is a chance that I will have to continue on full bed rest until baby is born.

Needless to say this isn't the information that we were hoping for as I was prepared to work up until I delivered. The financial situation is a concern but we have been through periods of unemployment and low income before and we know that the Lord has been faithful and will be faithful now. Overall, our spirits are good. I feel like God has given us both a real peace and sense of calmness. We are relying on him to take care of my body and the baby. Thankfully the baby looks GREAT and continues to grow and move and be healthy. Jared has it much worse than I do as he is now responsible (hopefully only until Tuesday) to cook, clean, do laundry, do the grocery shopping, take care of Addie, work, and help me with the things I need. Bed rest sounds wonderful but surprisingly it is difficult to literally do absolute nothing! It is an adjustment for our family but has been smooth so far. Jared is definitely stepping up to the plate and I am soooo thankful that he is my partner during this.

We know the Lord has a plan through all of this and will be faithful to see us through whatever is in store for us. We are thankful for the support and prayers of our friends and family. I will do my best to update!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'll be praying for you and Jared, Rhonda, and of course that sweet little one inside you! He/She sounds anxious to meet mommy and daddy! I'll pray the Lord will keep the little one inside as long as possible, and keep everyone patient and healthy!

Shannon said...

Love you guys, and are thinking of you. This is such a hard situation, but you seem to be tackling it like I knew you would. Glad to see you guys were in such high spirits last night. Let us know if you need help with meals, cleaning, laundry, more cheese cake, I can even provide Rhonda with some entertainment!...I would love to help out. We can be your personal 'butlers'..tee hee. We consider you family so honestly don't hesitate to ask for help. Yes, I am anxious to meet baby Smith, but not THAT anxious...so make sure you're staying on your booty!! Oh, I do ask this one favor...can you take a belly shot laying on the floor? Lay on your back and have Jared snap it from the side. Sorry this comments so long. I just thought it would be appropriate after reading your long posts, plus I'm sure you're bored and hopefully I just made this last minute a little quicker for you. Sending hugs! Shan

Melissa said...

ah! i wish I was closer and i'd come keep you company while you are on bed rest.
hang in there girl, i'll be praying for you.

Amy Blue said...

Rhonda, your family is in our prayers. TRY to "enjoy" the bed rest. We hope all the best for you and your cute family. We will be thinking about you. :)