Monday, April 20, 2009

All Up In YURT Face!

Disclaimer: Jared came up with the title because my creative juices were not flowing!

We survived our weekend and I'm happy to report that Yurt Extravaganza 2009 was a big success! Unfortunately though I woke up on Saturday morning with a sore throat and stuffy nose (I have been fighting off sickness for almost 2 months now with lots of vitamin C and Airborne...those darn kids keep trying to get me sick!). Although, I wasn't feeling 100% it didn't stop me from having a great time. The weather was perfect, around 60 degrees and super sunny. The view above is from the yurt, it was so pretty!

Here I am with my backpack, snowshoes and big smile...ready for the adventure!

The initial hike was around 2.7 miles and took us about 2 hours. It was a bit more difficult than I imagined and the backpack was awkward but I pressed on and we made it.

Here's the happy group at the beginning of the hike

Justin and Annie brought Hudson and he loved the hike and snow

The yurt was really cool and super cozy. It had a wood burning stove which kept it nice and warm.

Once we got to the yurt, the boys took off exploring (and doing whatever boys do in the woods). The girls found a comfy cozy spot in the yurt and talked for hours. That's why I think it is so great to do couple trips, boys can do boy things and girls can do girl things!

The Girls (Me, Annie, and Holly)
I know I look horrible, but I didn't feel good and didn't wear any makeup that day...I actually debated not posting this picture, but didn't want to seem vain!!

The Boys (Justin, Jared and Bill)

We cooked chili for dinner and played many hilarious rounds of "Catch Phrase". No one slept particularly well but that is to be expected on camping trips. Sunday morning we packed up and decided to take the shorter route down. We started out on a trail and then managed to forge our own trail, meaning we headed straight down the mountain (literally). It took us about 2o minutes to get to our car! And for those concerned about my ability in the snow (aka Ashley) I had no major accidents and was able to keep up with everyone else!

Here's the group Sunday morning: Jared, Me, Hudson, Justin, Annie, Bill and Holly

Both Jared and I were exhausted by the time we got home. I felt horrible and my whole body ached (from sickness, lack of sleep, and hiking). I took 2 Tylenol PM and was knocked out by 8:45! I woke up yesterday morning feeling good (gotta love that Tylenol PM)!

Despite some doubts I managed to survive my first backpacking and snowshoeing trip and would definitely do it again!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Rhonda!!
how fun!! I'm so impressed! you are so hard core! :)

Libby Lu said...

hi hunny! i saw your blog on ashley's site so i just wanted to tell you that i'm stalking you now. i love all your stories! and i'm so excited about your fridge. who doesn't love new things?! xoxo, libby =)

Allikaye's Mama said...

Oh my! I was laughing throughout that whole post! I know it wasn't meant to be funny...but I know you so well...and well, it was funny! Here are some points I would like to talk about...
1. I knew before you said anything that Jared thought of the title
2. You are looking very cute in your backpack
3. I don't want to know what boys do in the woods.
4. Never leave the house without makeup...sick or not, running water or not...I would think you should know that.
5. I am so proud of you for doing this! It really does look fun!!
6. Are you wearing army boot things?
7. I LOVE YOU!!!